Friday 3 May 2019

#confessionsonsafarnamay: From my fat self to the smart me



Born in the Sub Continent, I am genetically & geographically predisposed to storing endless amounts of fat. I was always an obese child and my teenage years were no different. Nobody, including myself, knew me as anything but that. And if that is not enough, I also belong to a society where the general lifestyle is sedentary. Parents focus on saying “beta parho, achay marks lena” instead of saying “health ka khayal rakho, gym ke liye break le lo”. In my social class, women don’t have the freedom of mobility and nobody wants to take on the pick & drop to the gym/fitness class responsibility for their daughter/sister. However, this attitude may change if her weight is coming in the way of an “acha rishta”.


One day, as I sank to the floor playing ‘ring around the roses’ with my preschool students, I felt a mortifying rip in my pants. It dawned upon me, finally, that I need to take some serious action about my situation. Having the ‘active’ job of being a teacher does not mean you’re living a healthy lifestyle. You need to watch your calories. You need to put your heart, along with your muscles, to work.

However, my realization did not mean that my family was instantly ready to see what I see. It took me a year to convince my mother that I need to start with classes for the 42 day challenge. I needed validation from the doctor that the kind of weight loss I need for my body to function optimally, taking a walk around my garden or trying desi totkas and Chinese kahwas will not help. I saved up money and alongside, worked on convincing my parents that I am old enough to drive to the other end of the city after dusk by myself for my sessions. 

Finally, when my weight-loss journey began, I found it to be the most liberating experience of my life. It was fun to drive around the city (haha) but rush of endorphins after my work-out was just exhilarating. I craved for it. I loved being sore the next day. I loved every drop of sweat. I loved the way my body quickly built strength and my progress made me fall in love with my physical self for the first time.

Once the challenge was over, I took the responsibility of my body unto myself and continued exercising as well as clean eating. I lost more fat but I was not spending hours at the gym, I wasn’t counting calories or starving myself. Hence, my lifestyle was sustainable, and I was already showing great improvements as far as joint pains, hormonal cycles and digestive issues were concerned. Of course, the physical changes increased my confidence. Who doesn’t like it when they drop a dress size and the people around you compliment your new body.

But more than the validation of my colleagues and friends, what I cherish is how my relationship with myself improved. I started being a little less mean to myself, talking less negatively to myself. I realized that if I put my mind to it and put in the work required, I could actually achieve my goals. And to achieve those goals, I learnt more about my body. I understood what it needs and how it works. I wondered why, in all those yesteryears, I never paused to reflect on how I felt after downing several slices of pizza. I learnt how to manage my time, prepared my own food in batches, made my food budget, and did my own grocery, prioritizing my health over a new kurta. On the mental health front, I identified what leads to my emotional-binging and learnt how to deal with those issues without using food as a crutch.

During my weight loss journey, I realized that not everyone is going to support you. You will encounter that aunty who will watch your plate in social gatherings like a hawk and give you weight loss tips that she never intends to follow herself. You’re going to get a lot of the following: “Aakhir kab tak dieting kero gi?”, “Itna sa mu reg gaya hai! Boorhi lagnay lag jao gi!”, “Pehle zada achi lagti thi!” and “Rung kaala hogaya hai dieting ker ker ke!”. When you visit relatives, they will get offended if you refuse to risk your health over their oily ‘mehmaan-daari’. I also became aware about the general fake standards of beauty of the world we live in. I lost the weight but I was the same person inside. Yet there was an instant spike in the ‘likes’ on my social media posts. However, what helped me stay positive and on track was my amazing girl gang that adapted our socializing around my scheduled cheat meals without even half a frown.

2.5 later, I’m still on this lifelong journey of the quest for health and strength, trying to pass on my positivity to others by being a fitness trainer. I respect my body and am grateful for all that it does for me, despite years of abuse and negative self-talk. I have learnt the power of doing small things on a consistent basis, instead of crash dieting for a month. I have stopped looking at numbers and focus on how I feel about my body.

For all the girls out there, who don’t feel confident about the shape of their body, start by understanding that body types, genetics and metabolism rates differ. We need not take the pressure of achieving the ‘right’ waist size. Stop feeling helpless and gain control over your food intake and physical health so you can be mentally fit and become better nurturers. The day you stop measuring your outer beauty from the fake yardstick of the society and valuing health over your waist size, half the battle will already be won. The idea is not to lose weight. The idea is to gain health.

Before and After




1 comment: