Thursday 6 April 2017

GREAT UNEXPECTATIONS

A new baby, 5000 miles and fresh waters to swim



19th October, 2016, was the day I was waiting for. I had been having extremely demanding past few months while juggling teaching a University course, writing 8 articles a month for a magazine, doing a free lance project with a multinational (involving interviewing and writing profiles of a 100 women), and all that is part and parcel of running a house and raising a child. I was also stealing some time from all the madness for yoga classes to manage the agonizing pain in my lower back stemming from a slip disc. The interviews for my monstrous project were to end on the 18th and I was waiting desperately to get my life back and a tad bit of sanity.

At snail’s pace, days passed by and came the glorious day of 19th October, when I was to rejoice and rejuvenate my existence a little. Taking a day off from all my work as a reward, I finally had time to listen to my body. I realized I am abnormally lethargic and sleepy. I was nauseous too and, hallelujah, my XS Sapphire shirt did kinda feel extra small on me. OH SHIZ. It dawned upon me that it’s been a while since I had had my period.

To make doodh ka doodh and paani ka paani, husband missed his gym after work and returned with 2 home pregnancy tests. When I presented him with 2 red strips on both, he presented me with the following sentence: “You know that role in Switzerland? I got it.”

I sat there holding my head, recognizing that the meaning of this moment was 2-pronged. Pehli baat to ye thi ke Mashallah se, I was pregnant, that too, 7 weeks, that too, by mistake. It’s not that I didn’t want a second child; in fact, I did very much. But I was holding it off because of my broken back. I had had severe back pain since November, 2015, but had discovered the slip disc just a few months ago and was getting various treatments, which were failing one after another. I was on new pain killers and was doing very strenuous strength building yoga to manage the pain. With this exercise routine and painkillers, I couldn’t have been pregnant. Pregnancy meant not being able to sleep on my stomach, the only position of pain-relief. A new baby meant sitting down for indefinite periods for breastfeeding, which was petrifying as I was not, and still am not, able to sit pain free. Simple activities like watching TV while sitting on a sofa or chilling in my bed with my laptop are, for me, luxuries. I have had to counsel myself everyday to be strong and keep living my normal life. On bad days, I have actually lost the will to live for brief moments but have had to pull myself out of pessimism. And because of this pain and halfway through learning it’s management, I wanted to wait for number 2.

The second change that 19th October brought with it was the fact that we were moving – again. Not to Lahore this time, but to Europe. Being very used to the Pakistani ways, the thought of being a stay-at-home mom with 2 children and without any help was beyond daunting. This was me, the Europe lover, the traveler, the explorer (I sound like Dora now) terror-stricken by Switzerland. Mein to waisey bhi raai ka pahaar bananay mein maahir hoon, ye sab to aik volcano tha jo aik dam phata. But at the end of the day being in Switzerland was not the problem, not being there was. With the super strict Swiss authorities and a few health factors here and there, today I sit here in Lahore, waiting for the baby, the visa and the day when the children, my husband and I will reunite physically as a family.

Between 19th October and 30th December, I packed up my home just 1.5 years after moving back to Karachi. I had to quit my beloved job at the IBA - again. I had to let go of my yoga instructor with whose help I was slowly making progress with my back. I had to quit all medication for pain instantaneously since I was unexpectedly expecting. I didn’t know where my blogging and free lance writing will be going, something that had just taken off and seemed to be doing well. The gham of losing my amazing cook was also killing me a little inside. Aur sonay pe suhaga, fat-days were impending.

But, between 19th October and 30th December I prepared myself to not just accept, but to embrace the changes. I don’t want to waste a single moment of my life waiting for ‘better’ times to come – I want to live every moment and extract the goodness even when it seems hard. So, I tried dealing with the changes that followed positively. After careful deliberation, I decided to home school my daughter till we were to be away from Karachi. It is an acute test of my patience but with the help of some cooperative mums and her school, we are making progress and I am actually enjoying watching her climb the ladder of learning. After teaching hundreds of students over my 8-year career in education, tutoring my own child has been the most rewarding. I am still writing for the magazine and adding to my blog. I have taken up part time O level teaching at LGS to keep my thirst for classrooms and Economics somewhat satiated. I am spending all my time with my daughter which has taken our relationship to a whole new level. I indulge in music and regular desi massages. My back doesn’t allow me to sit and read books so I have gotten audio books on my phone which I can enjoy while lying down. And in addition, I have gone all out making myself a pregnancy wardrobe which helps me look and feel good.

When life seems to be going off-track, even if in a good way in the long-run, unpredictability and lack of control over what is going on can be difficult to handle. Losing my job, ending up teaching a kindergarten course to my daughter rather than instructing undergraduates, letting go of pain killers, having to give up my own home and finding space for myself in my parents’ after 8 years of marriage,  and living without my husband who is the heart and soul of me can be overwhelming. In the midst of this roller coaster ride, pep talks with myself and with those who are around me have helped me buck myself up time and again. And finally, at this moment, I feel relaxed, positive, and ready to read a new chapter. After all, “the happiest people don’t have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.”

You can follow me on Instagram here.

11 comments:

  1. This is such an adorable post, miss mahvish. Congratulations on the upcoming baby and i hope you get your visa soon to reunite with your soulmate. hope you and the lil one is doing well! <3

    Lots of love,
    your student amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you Amber for liking the post! And still remembering me :)

      Delete
  2. I just loved reading it. Now I'm feeling like my problems are not that big as much I'm thinking. Thankyou for such an encouraging and positive post. Lots of love and prayers for you. May ALLAH ease your pain with smooth arrival of new baby and you all get together at earliest. Ameen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading the post, Mahvish but could only see three of the looks from both my iPhone and iPad. Don't know why! Can you upload all of them on insta, like you did with the powder blue just now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arifa, that's odd! :/ I have been uploading the looks so if you scroll down on insta you will be able to see some more. and maybe you can try again in some time and it might work on your phone! :) It is working on mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! This post made me realise no matter what the situation is you can always come up and be safe with optimism and strong will. MASHALLAH I adore your strength may Allah give you more AMEEN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome!You beautifully penned down your experiences. I can feel your emotions in it and I can so much relate to it. I moved to US in last year's August for my doctoral studies. After one & half month of moving, found myself in hospital & had surgery. As a result of that surgery, I couldn't walk properly. I had a pain even while sitting & standing. It was a traumatising time for me. But hope & faith in Allah helped me to get through this. Then after two months, my grandmother died back in Pakistan and I couldn't go back to Pakistan due to my ongoing semester. Again, I have to deal with this all alone. 2019 & 2020 was/is not a good year health wise. When I started getting better emotionally, then this virus appeared. Now, there are some days when I experience lots of anxiety but on other days it's better. Hope & faith are two things that always kept me going. And, I really want to appreciate your strength & optimism for bearing all this. May Almighty Allah always bless you & your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mahvish,
    We are conducting a Bloggers' Club starting on 9th April. It will be online and it aims to inspire people to blog for other reasons than money. For this purpose we would like you to join us for around 15 minutes on our last session on 30th April. We would be obliged if you could give us some time. Please acknowledge this message whether or not you would like to join us.
    Waiting for your email at learnersresourcegalaxy@gmail.com


    Regards,

    Admin,

    Learners' Resource Galaxy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you dear mahvish for sharing your story . I have been in a similar situation and the waiting isn't going to end anytime soon but as you said even the happiest people don't have the best of everything. I am going to keep this thought close to my heart now ��

    ReplyDelete
  9. heyy you are my fav blogger and influencer ! u motivate me everyday 💚

    ReplyDelete