Sunday 9 April 2017

MATERNITY STYLE HACKS FOR THE PAKISTANI MUM TO BE

How I built my bump tool kit for less


Though I was in no mood to make the effort, the ever expanding tummy size as the 8th month approached begged for more room in my clothing. So, I decided to build myself a bump tool kit for the summer. Going shopping made me realize that, fashion wise, this is indeed the best time to be pregnant. Kyun? Kyunke flared silhouettes from 2011 have made a triumphant return, with loads of ready-to-wear A-line kameezes, peplums tunics and desi frocks on the racks. I did buy some prĂȘt, but nothing else is camouflaging my tummy more than the customized wardrobe I got stitched for myself.

I wanted clothes which don’t cost me my jaidaad and are comfortable to wear without compromising my personal style.  The ghaneemat was that master sahab came over to do my stitching, thanks to the clothing business I ran for 5 years back in the day. With his cooperation (and feeding him samosas and jalebis every now and then to keep him happy), my kurtas have turned out to be cute as well as versatile - done up enough to take me through social calls, appropriate enough to dress me up for work and simple enough for me to run market errands in. Scroll down with a chai ka cup (or a Coca Cola?) for deets as I spill the beans just for you.

Before we start, plz remember: The cheaper my shopping, the happier I am. My poses must be appreciated, it wasn’t easy. I couldn’t create more variety with the hair because I look super fat when it’s tied. You can click on each picture and zoom in for more intimacy with the designs.

Points I kept in mind when designing my #lotd

Silhouette: I decided to go for an A-line cut for all my kameezes. I did not put on weight on my shoulders/chest area so wanted to keep the shirts fitted at the top, gradually increasing in volume to accommodate the tummy.

Main emphasis: From Miss Zara in London to baji Zara Shahjahan in Lahore, sab hi ko ajkal statement sleeves pasand hein. So, my aasteens are the championing sartorial feature of my kurtas.

Colours: I have picked pastels and yellows to keep things light and summery.

Extra embellishment: Laces, tassels and pearl buttons. No embroideries.

Accessories: Since I am quite a big chunk at the moment myself, I have decided to avoid chunky jewelry pieces and stick to pearl studs in the ears only. I’m playing with matching shoes, nail polish and lipstick for some fun.

Bottoms: Despite an endless list of choices in the bottoms department ATM, the only two lowers that work with an A-line cut are straight pants and tulip shalwars, so those are my saathis.

Places of procurement: Lahore Centre for all the prints and Button Corner in Ghalib Market for all the laces/tassels. Very convenient for laydiss whose main physical feature is their stomach.

#resultsbelike


#lotd No.1


I instantly fell in love with this pineapple print in yellow. I went for a boat neckline accentuated with lace (got it dyed). The balloon sleeves, elasticized at the forearm, feature cut out shoulders and strings around the elbow to be tied in a bow.

The shoes are about 4 years old, bought happily from Primark, London, for only £4 (yes, true story, and I am very proud of it).

#lotd No.2


Pastel blue is everywhere this summer and is easy on the eyes so I got this solid powder blue in doria for some texture. The sleeves are bubbled with a cuff right below the elbow. I added bows studded with a single pearl on the cuffs and a few pearl buttons on the back. Pretty floral lace adorns the hemline on the front and back.

I got the shoes from 3 Footwear for Rs.1450 and they have cute studded starfish on them.

#lotd No.3


This fabric was a must buy as it is totally different from the rest – the floral pattern is embroidered with a hand-painted sorts look. I added some colour by using mauve cloth on the cuffs and piping on the neckline. The sleeves are, again, bubbled with ruffled detailing. Threaded buttons adorn the neckline.

I got the shoes from an unexpected place – The Shoe Planet outlet in Gulberg Galleria. (myself also shocked)

#lotd No.4


This is the only branded fabric I got (from Khaadi) because I loved the chunri print and the lime green colour. The neckline sports braided yellow tassels and the sleeves have volume only in the bottom half.

Outfit paired with khussas from Khussa Mahal to complement the chunri pattern and tulip shalwar.

#lotd No.5


Powder pink is working well with my beauty status these days so this fabric was instant love. The sleeves are shorter, smocked around the elbow, creating a cute, frilly effect. I also wore pretty pearl bracelets but I don’t think you can see them much. OHO. Lace embellishes the hemline.

Got these Nine West sandals on sale for Rs.2500 (yahoo!). The darker pink adds a pop of colour to the look.

#lotd No.6


The bright corals and oranges are super cheerful (and I like that) but brought down to some tameez with the off white base so, this print made its way to my heart. The hemline lace is dyed in 2 colours and the neckline is enhanced by 2-toned tassel strings. Ruffled sleeves are the statement feature of the kurta.

I got the shoes from Vincci a year ago on sale for Rs.1500. Proudz I am.

#lotd No.7


This white doria print pulls a BRIGHT KAREIN effect on my complexion which I really enjoy. The circular flounce in the sleeves is divided into 2 ruffles and the strings at the back are tied up in a bow. Pretty lace just above the elbow makes the sleeves more interesting.

#lotd No.8


No summer wardrobe can be complete without a mint green kameez now, can it? This fabulous fabric is soft and textured. The cold shoulder sleeves are voluminous elbow down. White zigzag and chikan laces adorn the sleeves and neckline. A bow at the back adds to the cuteness factor of the kurta, what say you? I finished off my look with a matching mint green nail colour.

These Tory Burch sandals were bought from Bicester Village near London on a great deal a year back. Great deals give me great satisfaction.

#lotd No.9



This print has my heart for 2 reasons - first, stripes are trending; second, it's my way of declaring my love for cream and Pakistani mangoes. The slit sleeves finish off with scalloped edges and pearls. 3 stringy bows on each sleeve add just the right amount of drama. I accessorized with a tan bag and shoes. Nail and lip colours are brown.

The shoes are present from a friend. She got them from FOREVER 21, Paris.

Kahani khatam, paisa hazam. Aur kaprhey banaye to waapis aoon gi.


*You can follow me on Instagram here.
** Also, you can read up on trending pants styles here if you wish, my story for Women's Own Magazine.

6 comments:

  1. Wohoo! This is easy on the pocket, and practical as well.
    I m short. Can I popossibly turn these styles into a straight and/or fitted silhouette? Also, I love short shirts but short headline above my knees do not seem flattering. Any tips ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the appreciation Maria, and super sorry for replying late! I am more active on Instagram , i promise! Yess for sure, go for straight kurtas, that silhouette is still as in as the voluminous cuts. And straight kurtas are my favourite. Go for hemlines that touch your knees, that should totally work! :)

      Delete
  2. Nice designs. Explore amazing collection get latest designer pakistani salwar suits at affordable price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg your kurtas your ideas your colors picking its really really something really appreciable i'm my self a very choosyyyyy person in dresses and colors according to weather but these are really amazing wo kehtay hain yar dil ko lagay hain �� and u know i'm pregnant with my second baby its going to be my 2nd trimester in a couple of weeks uffffff agr ye kurtay mje miljain tu maza hi ajai cuz the main problem with me is tailor sahab ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. are everyone looking for ways online to get help solving their pregnancy and infertility problems when most of every native American is talking online about the help of Dr Mandaker Alamun. I checked him out when my husband who could not get me pregnant for over 9 years of marriage as a result of low sperm count became fertile and now, I am 5 months pregnant and it is this man known as Dr Mandaker who helped my husband solve his problem. My name is Alecia from CA USA. I would advise anyone and everyone who needs the help of any spell caster in love marriage,finance, job promotion,lottery spell,poker spell,golf spell,Law & Court case Spells,money spell,weigh loss spell,diabetic spell,hypertensive spell,high cholesterol spell,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need spiritual marriage separation),good Luck, Money Spells,it's all he does or looking for breakthrough in your political career to meet this Dr Mandaker the link to his website copy this link (witch-doctor.page4.me)His email contact witchhealing@outlook.com for He is a Reliable and trustworthy. I and my husband have gone to different hospitals having the thinking that I was at fault for not getting pregnant. But at the Federal hospital, they examined him too and his sperm count was low and unable to get a woman pregnant as a result of male infertility. It was then I sort out,thanks to Dr Mandaker.

    ReplyDelete